Thank you for those who participated in the 2012 NASPA Student Affairs Law and Policy Conference! We are finalizing the dates and location for the 2013 Law and Policy Conference and encourage you to monitor this site for updates.
Conference Overview | Hotel & Travel | Registration & Fees
Schedule | Speakers | Call for Programs | Pre- Conference Workshops
Laws and policies affect the work of student affairs administrators every day. These professionals must stay abreast of the issues and ever-changing legal environment in order to provide the best service to both students and their campuses. With the Dear Colleague letter and changes to Title IX and the increased scrutiny of campus safety and security, student affairs educators are at the forefront of these discussions. NASPA has partnered to bring together professionals in both student affairs and law to provide current legal information per case law; recommend examples from various higher education institutions; and offer the opportunity to discuss, dissect, and bridge theory to practice.
The NASPA Student Affairs Law & Policy Conference has included workshops on the following topic areas:
- Title IX and Title II Federal Compliance
- Duty of Care
- Clery Act and Campus Security Authorities
- Working with General Counsel
- First Amendment Issues with Student Religious Groups and Street Preachers
- FERPA and Student Affairs
- Higher Education Policy Issues, including college completion/success, affirmative action, immigrate student issues, and accountability
- Student Affairs and the Electronic World
Participants will gain new skills in policy development and management, which should assist them in deliverables such as new policy language or new forms of student discipline processes. Registrants will also have the opportunity to participate in small group discussions specific to their role on campus.