Early-career Development Institute
The NASPA LEAD Initiative Early-career Development Institute will serve as the primary development and learning experience for early career civic learning and democratic engagement professionals to gain foundational knowledge and connections within the field through a cohort-based experience with individual coaching from a seasoned professional.
NASPA's LEAD Initiative is proud to offer this opportunity to professionals in the early stages of their career. Student Affairs professionals working in community engagement spaces have very unique needs and often have limited resources devoted to professional development for staff.
The Early Career Development Institute (ECDI) is a new signature initiative to provide new, full-time professionals in their first three (3) years in the field an opportunity to connect with peers and more senior staff members at LEAD Initiative institutions and to explore specific competencies essential for practitioners.
Goals for Coaches
- To provide mentorship and support to early career professionals as they navigate practice, theory, and rhetoric related to civic learning and democratic engagement in higher education.
- To provide monthly guidance in an online fora for professional development for early career professionals as participants engage in career exploration activities.
Goals for Participants
- To provide opportunities for new professionals to network with early career professionals working with and/or seeking positions focused on civic learning and democratic engagement.
- To provide coaching opportunities for early-career professionals with mid- and senior-level student affairs professionals who have demonstrated a significant professional commitment to civic learning and democratic engagement efforts within the field of student affairs.
- To provide purposeful opportunities for professional goal setting and self-reflection.
- To provide participants with online development offerings intended to advance participants' capacities for civic learning and democratic engagement.
Applicants will be notified by August 10, 2018 regarding acceptance into the program and matches will be shared via e-mail by August 30. Applicants are asked to be current NASPA members to participate in the program.