Josh Maples, NASPA IV-W 2017 Regional Conference Marketing Co-Chair
October 2, 2017
What is there to do in Lincoln, Nebraska?!” is a common question we get asked as residents of this great city. It is not all just cornfields and football over down here… Lincoln is much more than that! It is filled with lots of local treasures, great restaurants, and a fun nightlife. We have new places popping up in town all the time, so it would be impossible to make an all-inclusive list, BUT we (the Locals) are happy to share some of our favorite spots in the Star City.
Local Eats & Treats
1. Yia Yia’s: home of Lincoln’s famous Around the World pizza.
2. Soup and sandwich at Bison Witches! They’re all DE-LISH!
3. Ivanna Cone in the Haymarket for some incredible handmade ice cream.
4. Satisfy your late night food cravings with a D’Leons burrito and potatoes locos.
5. Fun, tasty burgers at Honest Abe’s Burgers & Freedom.
6. Grab a seat at The Oven for some delectable mulligatawny soup and chicken tikka korma.
7. Try the Original Runza® Sandwich for the cost of the wintertime temp on Temperature Tuesdays!
8. Head to Cultiva for coffee roasted right here in Lincoln, and crepes!
9. Check out one (or more) of the many local breweries. Zipline, Emperyan, Beer Code, and Blue Blood just to name a few!
Sights of Star City
1. Take in ALL of Lincoln from the incredible view from the 14th floor observation level of the Capital Building (and take the free tour, it’s totally worth it).
2. Bike, run, or walk the on 77 miles of awesome trails throughout the city. Want to rent a bike? Check out the Outdoor Adventures Center on UNL’s campus!
3. Pay homage to Nebraska Legends Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney at Memorial Stadium.
4. Stroll through the art collection and Sculpture Garden at the Sheldon Museum of Art.
5. Are the kiddos joining? Spend an afternoon at the Lincoln Children’s Museum or Lincoln Children’s Zoo!
6. Visit Archie the Mammoth at Morrill Hall and star gaze at Mueller Planetarium.
7. See the world’s largest publicly held collection of quilts at the International Quilt Study Center and Museum.
Events & Shows
1. See what Student Organization events are happening at the Union on UNL’s campus.
2. Catch local bands and live blues at the legendary Zoo Bar.
3. See a Broadway show at The Lied.
4. See an indie flick or documentary at The Ross.
5. Learn to dance the two-step and see how long you can last on the mechanical bull at Single Barrel.
6. Cheer on the all-girl roller derby, the No Coast Derby Girls.
7. Get your snaps and fedoras ready for Poetry Night at Crescent Moon, Mondays at 7pm!
8. Bask in the awesome music and incredible cocktails at The Bourbon Theatre.
And of course, we would be remiss if we didn’t mention the NASPA IV-W Conference! What better way to explore and experience a new city than with your fabulous NASPA IV-W family. We can’t wait to show off our wonderful city, and we look forward to seeing everyone in November! Register for the NASPA IV-W conference today at: https://www.naspa.org/events/2017-naspa-iv-west-regional-conference/register
Opinions expressed in this blog are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of NASPA. If you agree or disagree with the content of this post, we encourage you to dialogue in the comment section below. NASPA reserves the right to remove any blog that is inaccurate or offensive.