Constitution Day & Citizenship Day
Each educational institution in the United States that receives federal funding must observe Constitution Day and Citizenship Day each year on September 17 (or the week before or after when September 17 falls on a weekend).
Many NASPA Lead Initiative participating campuses have transformed this little-known federal mandate into an opportunity to reflect on our government, our liberties, and our obligations as citizens in this democracy. It also creates a wonderful opportunity to launch the academic year with a set of inspiring activities.
The following are links to some resources that may be useful to you and your campus as you plan for Constitution Day.
- Constitution Day and Citizenship Day Overview: This is an overview of the foundation of Constitution Day and Citizenship Day.
- Constitution Day Planning Guide (with The New York Times and the American Democracy Project): This guide is a compilation of their planning suggestions and programming ideas, as well as resources for a meaningful and successful Constitution Day.
- Constitution Facts: Here one will find the entire text of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence - and much more! These resources provides interesting insights into the men who wrote the Constitution, how it was created, and how the Supreme Court has interpreted the United States Constitution in the two centuries since its creation.
- The United States Constitution: A highly accessible, easy to use online version full text transcript including the Bill of Rights and the rest of the Amendments with both sequential and subject indexes.
- The Bill of Rights (additional information): The first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution are summarized here.
- Bet You didn’t Know These 10 Facts About the U.S. Constitution!: These are only a few of the fun facts about the U.S. Constitution.
NASPA Lead Initiaitive Blog Posts About Constitution Day
- NASPA Lead Initaitive Insitutions Celebrate Constitution Day
- Connecting Constitution Day to Sustainability
- Lead Inistitutions Celebrate Constitution Day
- League of Women Voters and TurboVote at Alvernia University
- Barry University Team Presents Collaborative Approaches to Serve in a Diverse, Urban Community
- Sure, We Can! (And So Can You!)
National Organizations that Support Constitution Day and Citizenship Day Events