Complete Your Profile
This updated set of Professional Competency Areas is intended to define the broad professional knowledge, skills, and, in some cases, attitudes expected of student affairs professionals regardless of their area of specialization or positional role within the field. All student affairs professionals should be able to demonstrate their ability to meet the basic list of outcomes under each competency area regardless of how they entered the profession.
This document is intended to inform the design of professional development opportunities for student affairs professionals by providing outcomes that can be incorporated into the design of specific curriculum and training opportunities. Additionally, if student affairs professionals desire to grow in a particular competency area, they can examine expected learning and skills in the intermediate and advanced levels. Such examination allows individual practitioners to use this document to help guide their own choices about professional development opportunities afforded to them.
- Background Information and Changes
- The Professional Competency Areas for Student Affairs Educators
- Intersection of Competencies
- Implications and Applications
- Overview of the Competency Areas
- Comprehensive Presentation of the Competency Areas
- Personal and Ethical Foundations
- Values, Philosophy, and History
- Assessment, Evaluation, and Research
- Law, Policy, and Governance
- Organizational and Human Resource
- Social Justice and Inclusion
- Student Learning and Development
- Advising and Supporting
Paperback | 2015 | 40 pages
A free PDF of this publication is also available.
A Joint Publication of ACPA and NASPA