State Legislation and Transgender Rights? Let’s Talk About It
Virtual Engagement Events Policy and Advocacy Equity, Inclusion and Social Justice Community Gender and Sexuality
June 7, 2021 2:00PM-3:00PM EST
In 2020 and 2021 trending state legislation regarding transgender and gender non-binary individuals has centered around restricting participation in school sports teams based on assigned sex at birth. Over the last several months in particular, a growing number of states have enacted restrictive policies, creating concerns regarding transgender and gender non-binary individuals’ rights in education. This session, co-sponsored by the Gender and Sexuality Knowledge Community (GSKC) will bring NASPA membership up to speed with the landscape of state policies concerning transgender and gender non-binary students and what student affairs professionals can do to support an inclusive campus for all.
Event Panelists Include:
- Vivian Topping, Director of Advocacy and Civic Engagement, Equality Federation
- Kyle Velte J.D., Associate Professor, University of Kansas School of Law
- Luca Maurer, Director, The Center for LGBT Education, Outreach & Services and co-author of The Teaching Transgender Toolkit, Ithaca College
- Emet Marwell, Policy & Programs Manager, Athlete Ally
- Jody Randall, Director, Office of LGBTQIA Education & Engagement, Texas Tech University
- khristian kemp-delisser, Director of LGBT Resource Center, Syracuse University
- Diana Ali, Associate Director of Policy Research and Advocacy, NASPA
Join NASPA and the GSKC to engage around this critical issue on Monday, June 7 from 2-3pm EST. This event is FREE for all NASPA members, and $39 for non-members.
In addition, the GSKC will offer a 30min foundational primer on transgender rights before the webinar for those interested as well. You can register for both through the link below.
NASPA Main Office - (202) 265-7500
Program Questions/General Information:
Diani Ali- (202) 265-7500 ext 1241
Text Captioning Support: NASPA kindly requests five business days notice for captioning requests. You can request captioning within the online registration process. If your registration is received within the five business days prior to the live event, you will be contact by NASPA staff.