NASPA NOW Professional Recognition
Launched in 2017 in partnership between the New Professionals and Graduate Students Knowledge Community and the NASPA Central Office, the NASPA NOW Professional Recognition recognizes the impact that new professionals and graduate students have upon the student affairs profession. Each year, 25 participants will be selected as winners in categories aligned with the NASPA Pillars, Integrity, Inclusion, Innovation, and Inquiry, as well as a fifth category of Impact.
Applicants must be a graduate student (masters or doctoral, with less than five years of full-time experience) or new professional (less than five years of full time experience) and be a NASPA member at the time of conferral (March 2018). In addition, applications for this recognition will require submission of at least one, but no more than two, artifacts that provides evidence of the candidate’s performance and/or experiences while in their current role. Examples of artifacts can include, but are not limited to: letters of recommendation, presentations, publications, self-reflections, portfolios, websites, blogs, etc.
We offer the following prompts for each category:
Integrity: Committed to high moral principles exhibiting authentic, honest, just, and ethical behavior.
- How does the candidate define integrity in the workplace?
- Explain how the nominee exhibits authenticity, honesty, justice, and ethical behavior in their position.
- In what ways does the nominee display integrity in all parts of their life?
Innovation: Continuously seeking improvement through new and creative approaches.
- How does the candidate define innovation in the workplace?
- Explain how the applicant exhibits creativity in their position.
- What innovative ideas has the candidate successfully implemented while in their current role?
- If the nominee had an unlimited budget in their current position, what ideas would they bring to fruition?
Inclusion: Seeking ways to ensure access, voice, acknowledgement, opportunity, and participation at all levels.
- Using the provided definition of inclusion, in what ways does the applicant provide and/or support an inclusive environment in their current role?
- What are some challenges or barriers to creating or supporting inclusivity and how is the candidate working to overcome them?
- In the nominee’s current role, what have they implemented to promote inclusion and what has the outcome been?
- Why is inclusion important in the applicant’s current position?
Inquiry: Supporting research and scholarship to add to the knowledge base of the profession and ensure that data informs practice.
- In what ways has the candidate contributed to the knowledge base of the profession?
- How does the nominee utilize data and assessment in their current position?
- Describe a time the applicant advocated for something using data and assessment. What was the outcome?
Impact: Supporting the mission and strategic plan of NASPA through service to the organization on a campus, regional, or national level.
- How has the candidate supported NASPA's mission and strategic plan while in their current role?
- What are the nominee’s future plans for supporting NASPA's mission and strategic plan?
- What impact has the applicant made on NASPA?
- How has the candidate’s service supporting NASPA's mission and strategic plan influenced them in their current role?