- Strong and sustained record of professional and/or civic involvement in activities that promote diversity and inclusion in education and/or the community
- Actively engaged in advocating for, and advancing, diversity and inclusion in the profession through one’s administrative and/or academic work
- Reputation for taking a stand on critical issues related to diversity, and inclusion even at risk to one’s reputation and vocation
- An individual whose work has “broken barriers” and in so doing has served as a role model, and helped to facilitate employment and educational access
- Active individual NASPA membership
Note: This award honors a senior student affairs professional or faculty member who has demonstrated a deep commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion throughout their administrative or academic tenure. This award is named in honor of the first person of color to serve as NASPA president and who was also the first African American Administrator at Florida State University. Dr. Leach’s life and career was dedicated to bringing people of different backgrounds together for the purpose of promoting equality for all.