Faculty Council Initiatives
The NASPA Faculty Council is pleased to share the continuance of its mentoring program for faculty. The program pairs a seasoned mentor with a new faculty member. The purpose of the program is to provide support for mentoring relationships whereby new faculty can glean advice and guidance about scholarship, teaching, service, and career plans from seasoned scholars.
Pairs are encouraged to meet regularly throughout the academic year (typically pairs meet once per month but the on a schedule should be agreed upon by both individuals). At minimum, the pair should plan to review/discuss the mentee’s CV, co-create a short and long-term professional goal and plan to achieve established goals. Mentors and mentees commit to the program for one year.
Registration for the mentorship program opens mid- to late-March.
Phase 1: Registration forms due May 1 (individuals seeking a pairing before the summer begins)
Phase 2: Registration due August 1
Participants must have active NASPA members. Mentees must be within their first 1 - 3 years of appointment as an assistant professor (tenure track or non-tenure track), adjunct, or lecturer. Mentors must have a minimum of five years teaching experience.
2018 Conference-Related Activities
Please see below for the 2018 Must-Attend Faculty Annual Conference sessions.
Sunday, March 4
- Faculty First-Time Attendee Orientation, 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m., Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, Franklin Room
Monday, March 5
- NASPA President's Breakfast for Faculty, 7:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m., Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, Liberty Ballroom A
- NASPA Grad Prep Fair, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m., Convention Center, Hall E
- NASPA Faculty Social, 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m., Con Murphy’s on the 2nd level, 1700 Benjamin Franklin Parkway (At the Windsor Suites)
Tuesday, March 6
- Student Affairs Grad Prep Coordinator Meeting, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Loews, Congress A, 4th Floor
Faculty Lounge, March 5 & 6, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, Freedom Ballroom G
- Monday, March 5 - 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 6 - 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 6 - 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Coffee Breaks
- Sunday, March 4
Emerging Faculty Leader Academy
The NASPA Emerging Faculty Leader Academy is a one-year program for emerging faculty leaders who want to gain knowledge, techniques and experience in order to develop and sustain a fulfilling faculty career. Seven participants, one from each of the 7 NASPA Regions, will participate in on-line and in-person professional development and educational sessions in order to gain additional knowledge and skills about being a leader as a faculty member. Potential topics may include: teaching strategies and curriculum development, resources to deal with issues of tenure, merit and performance, and serving within professional associations such as NASPA. Visit the Emerging Faculty Leader Academy page for application information and previous cohort members.