Faculty Council Initiatives
The NASPA Faculty Council is pleased to share the continuance of its mentoring program for faculty. The program pairs a seasoned mentor with a new faculty member. The purpose of the program is to provide support for mentoring relationships whereby new faculty can glean advice and guidance about scholarship, teaching, service, and career plans from seasoned scholars.
Pairs are encouraged to meet regularly throughout the academic year (typically pairs meet once per month but the on a schedule should be agreed upon by both individuals). At minimum, the pair should plan to review/discuss the mentee’s CV, co-create a short and long-term professional goal and plan to achieve established goals. Mentors and mentees commit to the program for one year.
Registration for the mentorship program opens mid- to late-March.
Phase 1: Registration forms due May 1 (individuals seeking a pairing before the summer begins)
Phase 2: Registration due August 1
Participants must have active NASPA members. Mentees must be within their first 1 - 3 years of appointment as an assistant professor (tenure track or non-tenure track), adjunct, or lecturer. Mentors must have a minimum of five years teaching experience.
2017 Conference-Related Activities
Sunday, March 12
- Faculty First-Time Attendee Orientation, 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m., Convention Center 216A
Monday, March 23
- NASPA President's Breakfast for Faculty, 7:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m., Grand Hyatt, Lone Star EF
- Faculty Extended Institute, 10:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m., Grand Hyatt, Lone Star EF
- NASPA Faculty Social, 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m., Yard House, 849 E Commerce Street
- NASPA Communities and Grad Prep Fair, 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., Grand Hyatt, Lone Star Ball Room
Tuesday, March 14
- Student Personnel Point of View: 80 Years Later Where Are We Now?, 8:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m., Convention Center, Hemisfair C3
- Student Affairs Grad Prep Coordinator Meeting, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m., Grand Hyatt, Lone Star B
- Group Level Assessment: Informing Student Affairs Practice through a Participatory Research Method, 12:10 p.m. - 1:00 p.m., Marriott Rivercenter, Conf Room 2-4
- Preparing SA Pros to WOrk with MIoSG Students, 1:15 p.m. - 2:05 p.m., Grand Hyatt, Texas C
Faculty Lounge, March 13 & 14, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 pm.., Convention Center 216A
- Monday, March 14 - 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 15 - 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 15 - 2:00 p.m. - 4:0 pm..
- Coffee Breaks
- Case Study Competition
- Doctoral Seminar
- Scholarly Papers
- Faculty Institute
- Sunday, March 12
Emerging Faculty Leader Academy
The NASPA Emerging Faculty Leader Academy is a one-year program for emerging faculty leaders who want to gain knowledge, techniques and experience in order to develop and sustain a fulfilling faculty career. Seven participants, one from each of the 7 NASPA Regions, will participate in on-line and in-person professional development and educational sessions in order to gain additional knowledge and skills about being a leader as a faculty member. Potential topics may include: teaching strategies and curriculum development, resources to deal with issues of tenure, merit and performance, and serving within professional associations such as NASPA. Visit the Emerging Faculty Leader Academy page for application information and previous cohort members.