Message from the Co-Chairs
On behalf of the Knowledge Community for Student Leadership Programs, thank you for stopping by our website. You'll find leadership resources, previous webinars, and our social media venues. If you are hoping to become involved, please fill out check out our available positions on volunteer central. We are always looking for people to join our leadership team. For more information or questions, please contact us.
Christine Hernandez & Nadia Campbell
Co-Chairs Elect, TBD
The mission of the Student Leadership Programs Knowledge Community is to serve as a resource for higher education professionals who have a professional interest in college student leadership training, education, and development. The Community will share best practices, provide critical evaluation of the field, examine standards for leadership programs, support national and regional efforts to develop student leadership programs, make contributions to the literature, recognize exemplary programs, and cultivate a forum for the presentation of new ideas.
SLP-KC Strategic Goals 2022-2024
Recruit, maintain, and support a diverse & inclusive SLPKC leadership team
Increase accessibility and connectedness for regional reps
Encouraging different forms of involvement for members; recognizing the changing availability and workload of our members
Complete Your Profile
Login and update your profile.
SLP-KC Graduate Student Mentoring Program – NASPA Annual Conference
The NASPA Student Leadership Programs Knowledge Community (SLPKC) Graduate
Student Mentor Program is designed to connect graduate students who are interested in student leadership with current professionals in the field. Each graduate student (mentee) will be matched with a professional (mentor) during the national conference and will be encouraged to network during the course of the conference. There is an expectation that the mentor and mentee attend SLPKC and Conference social events together. It will be up to the discretion of both the mentor and mentee if they wish to continue to communicate after the conference. The purpose of the program is to connect the mentee to the SLPKC and NASPA, provide the mentee with networking opportunities during the conference, and allow the mentee to learn more about working with student leadership programs.
- Currently working in an area of student leadership at an institution of higher education
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience
- Commitment to attend conference events with mentee
- Currently enrolled in a graduate program
- Commitment to attend conference events with mentor
Please contact the SLPKC Mentorship Program Coordinators [email protected]il.com
Check out our NASPA Podcast!
The NASPA Leadership Podcast
We are thrilled to share the Podcast has now been listened to over 20,000 times! Please join us for the most recent episodes.
We would love for you to be a part of this podcast. Please consider sharing your leadership story. Click at this link to learn more.
Awards & Grants
One of the best resources available to you is the wide range of professional development opportunities. This list contains both our “Hosted Events,” workshops and webinars that we plan and manage, and some “Related Events,” hosted by the NASPA Central Office or other NASPA Constituent Groups. To see a full listing of NASPA events, please see the Events page.
Knowledge Community leaders are NASPA volunteers who have generously devoted their time to their Knowledge Community. Chairs are elected by the Knowledge Community members while Regional representatives are selected from within the Region. Additional roles are selected by the Knowledge Community.
NASPA Leadership Podcast
- Episode 57: NDSL - International Perspectives on Student Leadership
- Episode 56: Leadership for First Generation Students
- Episode 55: History of Higher Education
- Episode 54: Host Transition
- Episode 53: NDSL - Mentoring, Coaching, and Advising
OTHER LEADERSHIP PUBLICATIONS
- National Clearinghouse for Leadership Programs
- Integral leadership Review
- Journal of Leadership Education
- Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies
- New Directions for Student Leadership
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS IN LEADERSHIP
- American Leaders Organization
- Association of Leadership Educators, Inc
- Center for Civic Education
- Center for Community Change
- Center for Creative Leadership
- Center for Ethical Leadership
- Center for Emerging Leadership
- Character Counts
- Emerging Leader
- International Leadership Association
- Greenleaf Center for Servant-Leadership
- National Clearninghouse for Leadership Programs
- The James McGregor Burns Leadership Academy
- The National Academy for Academic Leadership
- The Leadership Edge
- W.K. Kellogg Foundtion
RESOURCES FROM THE NATIONAL CLEARINGHOUSE FOR LEADERSHIP PROGRAMS (NCLP)
- Graduate and Undergraduate Leadership Program Listing
- Co-Curricular Leadership Programs
- Leadership Course Syllabi
- Leadership Identity Development Model (LID)
- Listing of Associations and Organizations
- Leadership Studies
- Leadership Reconsidered
- Learning Reconsidered (PDF) (Purchase) (Presentation)
- Learning Reconsidered 2 (PDF) (Purchase)
- Executive Summary of Learning Reconsidered & Learning Reconsidered 2
- PaperClip Communications
- Multi-Institutional Study of Leadership
Do you have a resource you'd like to contribute? Something you'd like to see added here? Email John Mark and let him know.
Student Leadership Programs KC Newsletter
The SLP KC regularly releases a newsletter for NASPA members. We focus on issues most important to our members, the latest SLP news, and the latest KC news. To view the latest newsletter and an archive of past newsletters, click here.
Student Leadership Programs Regional KC Newsletters & Information
Looking for ways to get involved in NASPA?
Join the Student Leadership Programs KC Leadership Team!
Serving on the SLPKC Leadership Team is a rewarding experience that helps its members grow professionally and gives you the opportunity to contribute to the field of leadership education.
The SLPKC is currently seeking applications for its leadership team. The positions we are recruiting for will take office at the March 2022 NASPA Annual Conference in Baltimore, Maryland. Positions are either a one or two-year appointments and are usually co- coordinator positions. The leadership terms are staggered so that you serve under an experienced coordinator who was in the role for a year, and, in the second year, you will mentor another professional and share responsibilities.
Available positions include:
Open SLPKC Leadership Team positions:
Applications for SLPKC Leadership positions are open! We invite you to apply or share with a friend and join this amazing team.
Team Lead roles
- Communications Team Leader: Oversees and provides support for the SLP KC Instagram Project, Webinar and Website, and Social Media and Communication coordinator positions. Click here to apply.
Literature Review Coordinator: Solicits regular literature reviews by seeking members who are willing to contribute to the body of leadership knowledge via newsletter, website, blogs, social networking, etc. Click here to apply.
Spotlight Series and Awards Co-Coordinator: Co-coordinates quarterly Spotlight Series to recognize exemplary college leadership programs. Additionally, assists with marketing and selection of SLP KC awards. Click here to apply.
Additional information about each open position is available on NASPA’s Volunteer Central (https://www.naspa.org/about/