Message from the State Director
Greetings on behalf of the 2022-2023 NASPA-Alabama Board!
I am eager to serve as your new State Director, and I am enthusiastic about this upcoming year as we continue to grow and provide meaningful engagement opportunities for our members. Following the return of our in-person annual Drive-In Conference, we hope to continue reconnecting across the profession and establishing new relationships in the coming year. I was delighted to see several of our colleagues around the state at the NASPA Annual Conference in Baltimore, and we look forward reaching many others through professional development opportunities, volunteer roles, and our 2023 NASPA-AL Drive-In Conference hosted at Auburn University. I encourage you to get involved by attending virtual and in-person events, joining one of our new standing committees, and/or applying for a vacant board role. Additionally, I want to commend the summer institutes and symposium hosted by NASPA-Region III which includes Alabama and encompasses the Southeastern United States. I am excited about the possibilities as we partner together to reengage and invest in building capacity for student affairs professionals across the state. Thank you for your service to our diverse students, institutions, and communities throughout Alabama!
Alabama State Director
Director, Blackburn Institute
The University of Alabama
Board of Directors
One of the best resources available to you is the wide range of professional development opportunities available through NASPA. Our signature, annual event is the Drive-In Conference which brings professionals together from around the state for a day of networking, learning, and recognition.
Stay tuned for details about the 2023 NASPA-AL Drive-In Conference.
Complete Your Profile
Login and update your profile.
Each year NASPA-AL recognizes outstanding members across the state by honoring individual professionals with state awards. To continue with this tradition, please consider nominating one of your Alabama colleagues. State winners will be nominated for consideration at the Region III awards level, as applicable. Each nomination should include the following:
- Current resume
- Contact information for both the nominee and nominator
- A minimum of one, maximum of two letters of support with one preferably being from a current supervisor
All award recipients must have an active membership with NASPA.
NASPA-AL Scholarship & Grant Opportunities
Want to get involved? There are multiple leadership opportunities within the state to support members seeking to broaden their experiences and contribute to the profession.
NASPA-AL is now accepting volunteers to serve one of NASPA-AL Committees:
Professional Development Committee
- The NASPA-AL Professional Development Coordinator seeks talented, organized, and committed NASPA-AL members to be a part of the Professional Development Committee. The Professional Development Committee will help to design, implement, and evaluate accessible professional development and engagement opportunities and events including, but not limited to, webinars, roundtables, panel discussions, digital content, and/or trainings in synchronous and/or asynchronous formats. Events presented by this committee should foster collaboration and engagement among the state’s membership.
- The NASPA-AL Recognitions Coordinator seeks talented, organized, and committed NASPA-AL members to be a part of the Recognition Committee. The Recognition Committee maintains oversight of NASPA-AL’s awards and recognition program, which includes the recruitment of nominations, review and selection process for annual awards, grant submissions, and scholarship recipients. The committee will assist in reviewing scoring rubrics for the selection of awards, scholarships, and grants on an annual basis and will assist to ensure that all nominations meet established criteria. Annually, the committee will conduct a review of NASPA-AL’s recognition efforts and submit recommendations on how the program can be improved and where new recognition opportunities can be recommended.
Conference Planning Committee:
- The NASPA-AL Conference Chair seeks excited, organized, and committed NASPA-AL members who would be interested in participating as a member of one of the Conference Planning Committee. The Conference Planning Committee will work to review and select program presentations, organize and execute day-of conference needs, assist in developing a plan for outreach and engagement with all institutions across the state to get them informed about the organization and what it offers, and work to obtain sponsorships for the association and annual state conference.
- The NASPA-AL Communications Coordinator seeks organized, creative, and committed NASPA-AL members who would be interested in participating as a member of the Communication Committee. The Communications Committee will be responsible for ensuring the visibility of the association to the public in multiple formats. This committee will help to develop ongoing digital and print content for NASPA-AL social media sites and monthly newsletters as a means to connect and engage constituents and market professional development opportunities presented by NASPA-AL. This committee will annually review the association’s website as needed for updates to event information, board members, and other associated links.
Those interested in volunteering for committee membership should indiciate interest by completing the Committee Interest Form before August 18, 2022.
NASPA-AL Institutional Liaisons
The NASPA-AL institutional liaisons exist to ensure all institutional members are aware of NASPA-AL initiatives, awards, and professional development opportunities. By focusing on key communicators at each member institution, NASPA-AL will broaden our reach to ensure every Student Affairs professional across the state has the necessary information to make use of NASPA resources.
- At the beginning of each academic year, the NASPA-AL Director will contact Chief Student Affairs Officers (VPSAs) to invite them to appoint an institutional liaison. Liaisons should be finalized by October 1 of each year. Each liaison will serve for one year, concluding their service at the end of the Summer semester (unless identified for another term by their respective VPSA). Liaisons will come together once per year for instructional training and an overview of NASPA-AL annual opportunities. This connector experience should take place prior to November 1.
To enhance liaisons' involvement experience with NASPA-AL and to increase outreach and communication to our state’s membership, Institutional Liaisons are expected to serve on one (1) NASPA-AL Committee described below. The committee’s requirements and time commitment will be shared by the Committee Chair/Board Member after selection e-mail are sent.
Method for Communication:
- NASPA-AL institutional liaisons will receive monthly emails from the Communications Coordinator detailing upcoming opportunities, deadlines, and graphics to support promotion of NASPA-AL initiatives, awards, and professional development opportunities. This email will be sent from the [email protected] account.
NASPA-AL is happy to share any experience with its members that aligns with the purpose and values of NASPA. State institutions can submit publicity requests using the Publicity Request Form. All requests submitted two weeks in advance (after review) will be included in the next NASPA-AL newsletter and/or email/social media. There is no guarantee for promotion of events or announcements submitted less than two weeks in advance.