The Gender and Sexuality Knowledge Community provides avenues for both social and professional involvement. We allow for personal and professional growth, increased awareness and acceptance of professionals and students, and promote understanding of professional and student needs.
Our community recognizes individuals, programs, and research that have made extraordinary contributions to the advancement of sexual and gender minorities inclusivity and education at the highest and broadest level. The awards aid to exhibit excellence and/or innovations that have added to the profession of Student Affairs and Higher Education and enhance the lives of their communities.
The Gender and Sexuality KC is seeking nominations for 2022 in all award categories. Individuals selected for their award will be notified by early 2022 in advance of the Annual Virtual Conference and are expected to submit a current resume or CV to the Awards & Scholarships Co-Core Members at that time.
The Gender & Sexuality KC awards two seperate award categories for grad students: TQPOC Conference Scholarship Award (1 awardee) AND Research Award (up to 2 awardees)
The purpose of the TQPOC Conference Scholarship:
Recognizes the financial burden which trans and queer populations face associated with attending the NASPA Annual Conference. This scholarship award will assist one (1) NASPA graduate member who identifies as TQPoC to attend the NASPA Annual Conference that has a demonstrated financial need, which will include funding to pay for conference registration. The recipient will have been engaged in some way with the expansive, intersectional communities that make up the Gender and Sexuality community within the context of higher education
The purpose of the Research Award(s):
To recognize up to two (2) outstanding graduate student(s) research (master or doctoral) that contributes to the knowledge of Gender & Sexuality topics in Student Affairs and Higher Educatio, support the creation of new knowledge through Gender & Sexuality research, and support the distribution of new knowledge to NASPA members and the Higher Education community.
Recipients of the research award will:
- Be recognized at the GSKC Open Business meeting at the NASPA National Conference
- Receive a $200 research grant
- Have their work considered for distribution through the NASPA Gender and Sexuality KC
- Have the opportunity for further professional development through mentoring from NASPA Gender and Sexuality Knowledge Community members who are gender and sexuality scholars or scholar-practitioners
- Applicants must be NASPA members
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a master’s or doctoral program
Must align with the any specific identity foci of the award, if applicable. The backgrounds and identities of the research award recipients are only considers in regard to the impact/contribution (if any) to their research field, methods, or agenda
- Eligibility for the research awards does not exclude one from eligibility for the TQPOC award. The TQPOC award eligibility does not preclude one from eligibility for a research grant.
Apply now by clicking on "Learn More" button below!