Message from the Director
As you browse through the site, please consider getting involved in the region. From volunteering to review program submissions for a regional conference to participating in a knowledge community, there are many opportunities to connect and engage. Advisory board members are available to you to answer questions and sift through the myriad of possibilities! Please let us know how we can be of service.
Who We Are
We are dedicated to promoting the vocation of student affairs within our region and beyond by providing opportunities for professional development and training. Explore the website and learn about our upcoming events, professional development opportunities, knowledge community contributions and information on becoming involved.
In the United States, NASPA Region II encompasses Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia. In addition, we also represent Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Canal Zone, Afghanistan, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Italy, and Turkey.
Each year, Region II celebrates its community of Student Affairs professionals and students at the Region II Conference that takes place each June. We hope to see you at the 2022 Region II Annual Conference in Niagara Falls, NY!
SPONSORSHIP & ENDORSEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Region II provides sponsorship and endorsement opportunities to other professional development activities that take place within our Region. Often times, we co-host conferences, provide endorsements for local drive-in workshops, and many others! If you are interested in a sponsorship or endorsement opportunity with NASPA Region II, please fill out our form by clicking here.
The Region II Advisory Board oversees the various operations of the Region as well as representing the state organizations within Region II and coordinating with the Knowledge Communities.
Complete Your Profile
Login and update your profile.
2020 Careers in Student Affairs Month Blog Series
From Strolling to Advising: How My Sorority Prepared Me for a Career in Student Affairs by Adrieanna Reyes
My Journey of Transition During the Pandemic by Britt Spears
Three Needs to Consider When Researching Doctoral Programs by Nontalie Morrow, PhD
Is a Non-Traditional Student Affairs Role Right for You? by Ashly Huff
Remembering Your Value As An SAGrad: Final Year Of Grad School by Jack Nesmith
Changing Functional Areas by Dave Eng, EdD
Stay-at-Home with Region II
For VPSAs and AVPs/Number Twos
Thursday, May 7th from 1:00 - 2:00 p.m.
Tuesday, May 19th from 1:00 - 2:00 p.m.
- Kirk Manning, EdD | Vice President of Student Development, St. Thomas Aquinas College | Region II VPSA Liaison
- Mike Christakis, PhD | Vice President of Student Affairs, The State University of New York at Albany | Region II Past Regional Director
Mid-Day Mid-Manager Chat (formerly Session 1)
Friday, May 8 from 1:00 - 2:00 p.m.
The NASPA Region II Advisory Board invites you to participate in an open “Mid-Day Mid-Manager” Chat. The chat will be facilitated by the region’s Mid-Manager Initiatives Chair and will enable mid-level professionals to discuss challenges and share ideas with peers within the region. Come to share or just come to listen.
Wednesday, May 20 from 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
- Christopher Conzen, EdD | Executive Director, Hudson County Community College Secaucus Center | Region II Mid-Manager Initiatives Chair
For Graduate Students and New Professionals
Join us for one (or all!) of the events of the Graduate Student Success Series!
The Career Search in the Midst of a National Crisis
Wednesday, May 6th from 12:30 - 1:30pm
- David E. Jones, EdD | Chief Diversity Officer and Director of Talent Management, William Paterson University
- Janine Oliver | Associate Director of Career Development, Hamilton College
- Corlisse Thomas, EdD | Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Rutgers University-Newark
Starting a Position During Difficult Times
Monday, May 11th from 12:30 - 1:30pm
- Jeffrey Dessources | Director of Center for Leadership and Engagement, New Jersey City University
- Dave Eng, EdD | Clinical Faculty & Educational Technologist, New York University, and Host of The Student Affairs Job Search Podcast
- Michelle Van-Ess Grant | Director, Department of Student Life, Fashion Institute of Technology
Navigating Challenging Times and Conflicting Messages as a Graduate Student
Thursday, May 21st from 12:30 - 1:30pm
- T. Anne Hawkins PhD | Clinical Director, The Carruth Center for Psychological and Psychiatric Services, West Virginia University
- Felipe Henao | Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, Mercy College
- Sara Klein, PhD | Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs, Stevens Institute of Technology and Adjunct Faculty at New York University
- Fatim Lelenta, LMHC | Assistant Director, Graduate Student Career Development, New York University
One of the best resources available to you is the wide range of professional development opportunities. This list contains both our “Hosted Events,” workshops and webinars that we plan and manage, and some “Related Events,” hosted by the NASPA Central Office or other NASPA Constituent Groups. To see a full listing of NASPA events, please see the Events page.
If you are interested in planning an event for the Region, you must fill out this form. The completed form will be sent to your Regional Director and Regional Treasurer for approval. Once approved, they will connect with the NASPA Central Office and a staff member will reach out to you for training and event set-up.
NASPA Region II has long been one of the largest regions (by membership) due to the number of colleges and universities located in the Middle-Atlantic United States. The leadership of Region II strives to recognize the excellent work being done within the region as well building talent at all levels by providing members with professional development and networking opportunities. Each year, Region II celebrates its community of student affairs professionals and students at the Region II Conference, held annually in June. We have several pages dedicated to the history of Region II in an attempt to help create a repository for members to see what we have done and what we still need to do. Feel free to peruse and let us know if we are missing something or there is something that you would like to see!
- Jeffrey S. Putman, NASPA Region II Historian
Strategic Plan 2018-2023
Mission: To connect members of the regional student aﬀairs community in professional development eﬀorts that build competencies and creates networks to share the rewards and challenges of educating college students.
Vision:NASPA Region II is the premier regional source for student aﬀairs professional development that connects current and future practitioners and faculty of the ﬁeld.
- Educational Programs
- Take stock of our members’ perceptions of their NASPA experiences; particularly as it relates to NAPSA2.
- Focus on providing the very best and inclusive educational programming opportunities for NASPA2 members across existing platforms including, but not limited to: Regional Conference, Mid-Managers Institute, Careers in Student Aﬀairs Conference, Knowledge Communities, networking events at the annual conference, etc.
- Ensure student aﬀairs professionals throughout NASPA2 are aware of and beneﬁt from NASPA membership and engagement opportunities.
- Identify revenue-generating strategies (vis a vis the Regional Conference) to ensure NASPA2’s long-term ﬁnancial solvency.
- Employ a comprehensive evaluation (assessment) strategy of regional programs in order to provide the best data to inform decisions, and improve these programs and services.